Monday, December 29, 2008

Wait and see? Or D&C?

I've suffered multiple miscarriages, but my last one, just a few weeks ago, was the first one where I asked for an immediate D&C procedure. I have had one D&C previously, but that was after 4 or 5 days of misery, waiting to finish miscarrying and developing a fever. With my others, I've miscarried naturally.

Based on my own experiences only, I would have to say that having the D&C right away offers many advantages. I bounced right back, and felt like myself again within 24 hours - literally. It was a really easy recovery.

Of course, the down side is that even with "good" health insurance, which I am lucky enough to have, I am sure we will end up paying well over $1,000 out of pocket in medical bills for the procedure once all the bills are counted.

Anyway, here is an interesting overview of the pros and cons of each approach to managing miscarriage.

Previously physicians and midwives have had their preferences, as do the pregnant women involved. Though a new study has shown that the rates of complications like infection are extremely low (2-3%) but consistent among all types of care. The biggest difference was that there were more unexpected admissions and surgeries following the expectant and medical management.


FOLLOW TMB on TWITTER

No comments:

Post a Comment